[OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT

Subject: [OM] Staying Sharp - Cutting it close to being OT
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 22:53:14 -0800
OK, not really on-topic, but that never stopped me before.

Thanks to the misfortune of another individual, I came into possession
of a rather uninteresting pocket knife.

Mind you, I've been meaning to buy a new pocket knife for a while now.
I purchased the very best $25 department store pocket knife I could
find about 30 years ago and it has served me pretty well throughout
the years. Unfortunately, it never did hold an edge and it's bulky and
heavy. I have friends who collect or buy/sell knives and they have
some fancy carbon-fiber gizmo with exotic alloy something or another
thing costing hundreds of dollars. I'd rather have another Zuiko than
spend hundreds on a knife. But that's me. They laugh and scoff at my
Kmart special with fake ivory handle.

A week ago Friday, we dropped our daughters off at the airport for
them to fly to Korea. While watching them snake through the security
ropes, we stayed along with them for as long as possible. At one of
the switchbacks was a table for people to put unacceptable items
before they reach security check. I've always found interesting items
in there, but as I've usually been flying myself, I couldn't do
anything about it. But this time I was able to acquire a couple of
items. One was an off-brand Leatherman multi-tool. Nothing fancy, but
one can never have too many of those things. The other was a Klein
Tools 44034 Pocket Knife.

I'm rather intrigued by this knife. This is not a fancy knife. It's
not expensive. It's not Kmart quality either. There is nothing even
remotely interesting about the knife. The rosewood inlay just makes it
slightly less homely than that stray dog of unknown lineage. It's
probably one of the least interesting pocket knifes I've seen.

It's functional.

But, it's also very thin. It has decent balance. The blade is the
correct length and the handle provides just the right amount of
leverage before the slot's sharp edges dig into your skin. And the
lock is very solid. It's a tool!  Not a toy. Not an item to show off.
It's just a stout, sharp and practical tool that disappears into the
pocket. I'm not sure one can even say that it's better at anything
than other $40-70 (USD) pocket knives. But surprisingly, this very
trait of boring and practical is what makes this knife pretty special.
The size, weight, and thinness means that it can be carried
everywhere.

I've read reviews and opinions on this knife and I understand why
people are so loyal to it. It's been around for many years, is just
expensive enough to feel bad about losing, but not so expensive that
people will go right out and buy another one just like it to replace
the lost one. I have zero doubt that the owner of this knife has
already picked up another one to replace it.

Mine shows that it has been around for a while--not shiny new, and has
been used. I'll gladly keep using it and carrying it around until it
gets lost too.

And chances are, I'll go right out and buy one exactly like it to replace it.

AG Schnozz