Re: [OM] Persistent pad puzzlement

Subject: Re: [OM] Persistent pad puzzlement
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 09:04:53 -0800
My wife and I have about every variation of techno-wizardry in
existence. In all honesty, we still haven't found that one perfect
solution yet.

I think the best game in town, right now, is the Microsoft Surface.
The keyboard is barely usable, but it is a nice setup. I have a Lenovo
Yoga with a small display that will go into tablet mode, but it's just
a touch too big and heavy for bedtime reading. It's still two inches
smaller (in both dimensions) as the MacBook Air, same thickness, and
lighter. (and the keyboard is better).

There is a very fine line between having something usable for bedtime
reading and having it fully functional elsewhere. I really like the
8-10" tablets for that. They are thin and lightweight. However, the
most important thing is having a rubbery surface. A smooth aluminum
case, like an Apple, means that you have to squeeze tighter to hold
onto it. It needs a rubbery case to allow it to cling to your fingers
better. And that case will help protect the device a little bit more.
An iPad Mini, or Android equivalent, is about the right size and
weight and with a thin case is all that you need for this application.

Bluetooth keyboards can be had for all of the above. But quality
varies a lot. Even among the Logitech line, there is sufficient
quality difference between models to warrant concern. Make sure you
feel the keyboard before buying because some of them are really
horrid.

AG Schnozz