Re: [OM] Union Pacific "Big Boy"

Subject: Re: [OM] Union Pacific "Big Boy"
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 21:18:09 -0400 (EDT)
Most steam locos ran out of water well before coal or oil. I don't know what
the UP did, but it would not surprise me that it was converted to oil burning.
In any event the loco will require special care with an additive when adding
water. They fill the tender at most stops with a fire truck from the city water
mains. City water has a too high oxygen content and is bad for the ininards.
and these excursion trains always have a big diesel just behind the tenders in
case it's needed to pull, and to provide dynamic braking as needed. And getting
to see it will require travel as it is very limited in where it can go because
of it's size.