Re: [OM] especially for beer drinkers

Subject: Re: [OM] especially for beer drinkers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2019 21:58:23 -0700
On 8/4/2019 5:21 PM, john hudson wrote:

I saw this

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-beer-cities/index.html

and wondered how many listees might have been to any one of them.

Come next April I might be checking out the Quimera beer bar in Lisbon.

Hmmm.

"As the US city with the most breweries per capita, Portland, Maine . . . Only second to Portland on the breweries-per-capita list, Asheville . . ."

The criterion of breweries per capita seems highly questionable to me. As long as Santa Rosa, CA has the Russian River Brewing Company, it will be a beer lover's mecca. As will Kalamazoo, MI, as long as Bell's Two Hearted Ale is made there by Bell's. As will Stowe, VT, as long as Alchemist is making Heady Topper there.

And so on, with the Belgian beer cities, and on and on. When I was in Germany in '77, one simply bought whatever was on tap. It was made nearby and completely fresh.

"This family-owned brewery in Lisbon, Portugal has won various local awards for its impressive selection." Whoa! the criteria are local awards, in Portugal, and wide selection.? And the illustration is a beer with a strawberry or raspberry colored head? No, thanks! Lisbon may be worth a visit, but not for the beer.

After all that carping, I must admit that I'm in Portland every Fall, and have visited the Shipyard brewery. My son says if I visit Bissell Bros, and mention his name, I'll get special treatment - which I assume means someone else will have to drive. ;-)

I've also, with BobW, visited the Oxbow brewery, not in Portland, but their one in Newcastle, ME, and had their lead beer, American Farmhouse. Documentary photos <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=19214>, and next right.

There are certainly some good beers in Portland, and The Great Lost Bear is a good place to sample them (with good food to absorb some), but the beer here is as good or better (Probably better). (Yes, there are multiple breweries in Berkeley.)

Beer With Me Moose