Re: [OM] 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back...

Subject: Re: [OM] 20 minutes of your life you'll never get back...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 13:07:13 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> … the very
> qualities praised in the thread would be lost or changed with a focal reducer.

In my fairly extensive experience, including real-life shots and test charts,
the best focal reducers and tele-extenders are pretty much invisible, allowing
the qualities (or lack thereof) of the underlying optics to shine through.

The converse is also true: a crappy focal reducer or tele-extender will make a
mess of the finest lens.

I used to be a skeptic. "How can 'adding glass' make things any better?" But
then I got out there and shot with numerous combos of focal reducers,
tele-extenders, and lenses.

I think the inverse power law applies: whichever one is "worse" is going to
dominate.

Jan