Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 31: a ride on the Vía Verde

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 31: a ride on the Vía Verde
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 08:49:27 -0500
On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:14 AM Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In full summer mode now. I am not taking any long vacation this year,
> except for a week in Poland in early September. But I am taking a few days
> off, spread throughout the month. So there is plenty of time to ride my
> bike, and also to explore new places around here. One such place is the Vía
> Verde del Maigmó, a gravel trail following a disused railroad track. It has
> become accessible to me thanks to a new mountainbike I have acquired
> recently. So there are some nice views from the 22 km ride, from vantage
> points that are not accessible from the paved road. There are also the
> usual Alicante and neighbourhood pictures, as well as an outing to Hostal
> Maruja with a new colleague. It is all here:

31_18.  I've really enjoyed the beautiful light in all the shots you've
made from this lovely setting.

I contend that you cannot see the beauty of my home (Iowa, USA) without
venturing on to the gravel roads.  I have a bike I've outfitted with cycle
cross tires (older steel-framed Japanese model) which I've used on gravel
roads.  The only problem is that these roads get used extensively by local
farmers and you eat a lot of dust from time to time.  Seasonal maintenance
of such roads generally involves spreading fresh limestone here and there
as needed and allowing cars and trucks to do the compaction and regrading
the road from time to time to push the gravel back into the travel lanes so
that the surface is not always uniform and presents some challenges
especially going down hills ("challenges" being a euphemism for "wipe
out").  I deal with the same dangers when motorcycling on them.
Occasionally I've trailered a motorcycle to a location with my big old GMC
van (Sasquatch) and motorcycled the paved roads but driven Sasquatch on the
gravel.  I can often get some decent photography done that way.  One can
often stop on a gravel road with a larger vehicle where on a paved country
road there is only enough shoulder to accommodate a motorcycle.

In any case, I'm hoping you're staying safe as I follow with interest the
change of scenery that you're enjoying and sharing with us.

Joel W.