Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 13:54:45 -0700
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
On 8/11/2019 7:13 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:

However, you cannot trust 'focus peaking', but instead you need to magnify
the viewfinder image to get best results. It can be set to the C1 button,
allowing for an easy workflow.
I do just that for Magnify. OTOH, I've found focus peaking to work well, as
well. Magnify, if on a tripod, peaking, if
hand held, has worked for me.
The thing I like about focus peaking is that, given sufficient depth in your
image, you can see where the peaking starts and ends. I find that, by centring
the subject within the peaked area, my results are identical to magnifying,
which takes more time and effort to do.

Yup, rocking focus in and out gives information about there the DoF limits are, and allows precise placement of focal plane. IF - see below . . .

That seems to work over a wide range of apertures, and is my favourite
technique for super-thin DoF, like the 350/2.8. But it also works with the OM
500/8 Reflex, given enough light.

Of course, if your subject doesn't have a lot of depth, this technique doesn't
work well.

The other problem for focus peaking is subjects with few or no hard contrast edges. Magnify may also not work particularly well with them, but often rocking in and out will allow it to work.

Peak Moose