Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko manual lens options for Sony A7
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 01:37:09 -0700
On 8/13/2019 5:48 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Perhaps an unfair test, but couldn't resist. OM 50/1.8 vs Zeiss 55/1.8 @ 1.8.

First test with late series OM 50/1.8 with Fotasy adapter on a7riii, shot wide
open, compared to Sony Zeiss 55/1.8, also manually focused the same way. This
was highly rated 50 on Gary Reese's testing. I have a second OM 50 and should
check it as well.

Based only on this one test I have to say the Zeiss way out performs the OM
50/1.8 in sharpness and contrast. The OM 50 has a soft look too it, almost a
fuzzy glow. Here are two 100% crops. The OM subject was more centered, the
Zeiss shot subject was off to the right. This is not a super controlled test,
and perhaps higher F stop would help the OM. I really like the Zeiss 55. That
and the Sony 90 macro is nice and handles well, easily switching from AF to MF
by pushing the focus ring forward...

OM 50/1.8 100% cropped
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p690qd1gxba2f01/7R301920_crop2.jpg?dl=0

Zeiss 55/1.8 100% cropped
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ehikvsgwmyppip/7R301924_crop2.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for testing and showing us the results.

My highest serial # 50/1.8,  5,814,xxx, was produced in Sept, 1985, according to the date code on it. Although a consumer grade lens, it stomps the 1960-ish design, premium Canon 58/1.2, from roughly 25 years earlier. The Zeiss here is about 30 years newer than the Zuiko, a period of great advances in glass, glass shaping and computer aided design. It's also a premium lens, with one more element - and three of the elements have at least one aspheric surface.

So, I'm not surprised the new Zeiss outperformed the old Zuiko.

I can think of a couple of reasons why your results may not be entirely representative of the inherent optical designs. The Zuiko is at least 30 years old, and may not be in perfect shape. The A7 series have a very thick sensor stack that does have an effect on lenses not designed for it. The Zeiss is, and the Zuiko isn't.

A Spheric Moose