Re: [OM] IMG: The Apocalypse Room

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Apocalypse Room
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 14:16:02 -0800
> WOW! That's a lot of work. Hope those shelves are anchored to the walls.
> The Apocalypse around here will be the 'Big One' and all that work would
> end up on the floor. :(

I was thinking the same thing. That would NOT be the way to store the
goods here in Anchorage. That last big one we had in November would
have knocked everything off the shelves and then knocked the shelves
over onto them for good measure.

I've seen what people do, though. The anchor the shelves (usually
bolted to the floor) and then have a guard rail of some form around
the edges so the stuff doesn't slide off.  That's fine unless there is
a strong vertical motion in addition to the horizontal motion. Our
November quake had both, but the sideways motion was somewhere between
2 and 6 feet, vertical motion was about a foot. Depending on location.
Eagle River, where we live, had the most motion.

Alas, I look at those canned tomatoes and can taste the pot of chili.

Good Job, Tina.

AK Schnozz