Re: [OM] Ah, you found me.

Subject: Re: [OM] Ah, you found me.
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:47:57 +0100
Thanks to all who made them for the encouraging comments, but especially
Moose, who added some extra info and asked questions, which I'll address
below.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 23:05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's nice. The usual DoF effect. The only way to beat that seems to be
> to shoot from directly above or do focus
> bracketing.

I thought about trying that, and might yet if they're still alive next time
I go there.  Seemed a bit unlikely they'd stay put long enough though, and
they were hand-held so likely to suffer as a result of wobbly photographer
syndrome.

> Several to like. I like the first couple of hovering shots. I've not tried
> that, but now plan to.
>
> One thing you may know is that, like some flutterbys and hummingbirds,
> they tend to find a perch they like and return to
> it, over and over. So, one may set up on that spot, and be ready.

I had noticed that, and also that they seem to pick the same spots to hover
in for a couple of seconds at a time.

> Gear? Most of mine have been with PLeica 100-400 on E-M5 II or GX9, but I
> recently got a good one with my new Panny
> ZS200 Travel/compact camera. It's the first one in my little dragonfly
> gallery.
> <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=22160>

Nice work.  I believe that all dragonflies are unable to walk very much due
to the difference in leg length front-back, so it's interesting to note
that most of yours seem to prefer near-vertical perches whereas mine go for
near-horizontal.  There were plenty of vertical options available to them.
Must be a cultural thing ;)

Mine were done with an E-M1 and 40-150/2.8.  They were all cropped quite
considerably before resizing for the web.  I have the 1.4x converter which
I might add to the mix next time.  I doubt it will make much difference to
the resized images, but I won't know 'til I try.

Experimenting Ian

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer