[OM] GX85 Early Thoughts and Impressions

Subject: [OM] GX85 Early Thoughts and Impressions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:58:12 -0800
This is certainly not a review, but early thoughts and impressions on the GX85.

1. Small and lightweight. For a go-everywhere camera, I think the size
and weight is just about perfect. Some small cameras are small, but
also feel cramped. This is right on the edge of cramped. The shutter
release is very well positioned. However, the play button is in an
unfortunate location is gets pressed almost every time I pick up the
camera. The rest of the buttons are almost flush-mounted and are not
where I want them to be when operating in the dark and I can't see
them. First-world problems.

2. Image quality. The image noise is ever present--even at low ISO
settings. However, just like the E-1, the noise appears to be
intentionally added to provide uniform noise pattern. Either way, the
noise is actually rather film-like...

3. Speaking of film-like. The B&W images are glorious. It doesn't seem
to matter what ISO (up to 3200 tested), the images look right.

4. E-Shutter. I'm not sure it's a good thing or not. Please advise.
But I am preferring to have the E-Shutter turned off because I'm not
getting enough feedback to know that the camera actually took a
picture.

5. EVF. Tiny and blurry if the eye isn't centered perfectly. Tiny and
blurry if the eye is centered perfectly.

6. Battery hog. Nuf said

7. AWB. The auto white balance is as close to perfect as I have ever
seen. And I mean perfect. It may be my imagination, but it looks like
the camera is adjusting not only the color balance, but also the
curves.

8. I really dislike the 12-32 kit lens for one reason: No manual focus ring.

9. Custom settings and menus and screens. Convoluted.

10. Overlay information. Seriously, folks. I want a clean look with
just minimal overlay information--preferably outside the image area.
50 different settings and not one of them is exactly what I'm looking
for.

11. Nose touching the monitor changes point of focus far too easily.
Again, first world problems.

12. Colors and Contrast. Both out-of-camera, and Lightroom processing,
there is something really special going on here. No Canon need apply.
This is another world.

More to follow.

AG Schnozz