[OM] GX9 and GX85, batteries and chargers [was Back in the Fold]

Subject: [OM] GX9 and GX85, batteries and chargers [was Back in the Fold]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:29:18 -0700
<<The camera isn't perfect, but it is what I need right now. Even if I
<<get a super-duper OM-1MD (or equivalent), I think the GX85 will make a
<<nice backup camera and will always have a home in my computer bag.
<<It's very small. It's very lightweight. And it takes really good
<<pictures.

Yep, will take very nice  images with you in the drivers seat, as almost any
cam would.  Borrowed Maestro Moose's GX 85 for hiking 10-15mi day in the
Dolomites along with my GM-5.  It worked well and was a joy to not have as much
to carry.
Marnie was accustomed to my optional large eyecup on the E-M1 Mk2 and we were
both modestly bothered by the stock eyecup.  The GX-9 is only a tad larger and
has an option for a larger eyecup that might be able to be surgerized for the
GX-85.

The GX 9 specs as larger, but it really isn't. Specs shows greater depth, but that's only the rearward protrusion of the EVF housing. The bodies are within a hair of each other. Putting the same EVF module in the mechanism that allows tilting it upward up to 90º moves it back relative to the body. That might even be enough to obviate the need for another eyecup.

I forgot to mention batteries and chargers. Although I've not carefully tested, it seems to me that the third party batteries I've used don't have the capacity of the OEMs. I found a nice solution for Bhutan. The latest bodies come with the B_10__ batteries, 1025 mAh capacity all of 9% greater than the previous model, B_9__, @ 940 mAh. I found "9"s, NIB for half the price of "10"s.

Then there are chargers. The GM 1 & 5 and GX7 came with real chargers. The current GX and ZS series come with a wall wart and USB cable, for charging batteries in the camera. I couldn't find anywhere any spec on charging current for in-camera charging.

The design of the Panny batteries and separate chargers deserve kudos, in that the same charger works with both the GM series batteries and the GX and recent ZS series batteries. The different capacities are achieved by making the batteries with different thicknesses, but the same WxH and contacts and they all fit in the chargers.

OTOH, they charge quite slowly. I have both an older and the newest model number, and both spec. 430 mA. There are a couple of dual battery fast chargers, Watson Dual and Hähnel, both $80! The Watson specs 1,000 mA, although, based on their stated charging times, it may be a smart one, that varies current through the charge. The Hähnel specs 1,270 mA, and boasts about much shorter stated, and emphasized,  charge times.

I'd be concerned about possible shortened battery life with the Hähnel, and perhaps the Watson. I think the best solution is the OAproda dual charger. It runs off a 2.4 W. USB port, and charges @ a speced 730 mA per battery. (If you do the math, it actually creates energy, as output is slightly greater than input.) In any case, I've loved it; much faster than the Panny, charges two at once and it's tiny, light, and cheap. Fabulous for travel.

It may be only available with two of their batteries, but at $22, it's still a steal. And the batteries seem as good as third party ones get. <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NSSYH5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

All Charged Up Moose