Re: [OM] GX85 Clarity Slider

Subject: Re: [OM] GX85 Clarity Slider
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 22:10:33 -0700
On 8/29/2019 6:04 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Well, it looks like the GX85 is adding "clarity" or "dehaze" to the
images even with all those image-enhancements turned off. While I am
possibly missing some setting, it does have the appearance that the
camera is preprocessing the images quite a bit even before the RAW
file is written. I do expect that, but this wide USM setting that is
applied to the images is a little disconcerting.

Might you have been slogging around in the mud too long, so a naturally clean image is surprising? I have, over the last few years, used both Panny and Oly µ4/3 bodies, and have never noticed any such difference in the Raw files, as converted by ACR, primarily, DxO, and a couple of others. DxO defaults look different than ACR, but much the same between brands.

I have read occasionally over the years that this or that maker pre-processes the Raw files. But I wonder how that would work, or could work. Before one may do any processing, must one not demosaic the image, and perhaps apply Gamma to the linear data? Can images be "clarified", dehazed, and so on, without knowing the color of each pixel? Without knowing the brightness of each? Then, how does it get re-mosaiced?

I clearly recall the revelation of files from the 5D, compared to the 300D I'd been using. It was like everything at the pixel level had clearer boundaries to detail, cleaner color, and a sort of 3D effect. It was all in the new sensor system.

Not Convinced Moose