Re: [OM] Well, that sucks

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, that sucks
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:48:17 -0500
For a 7-year-old camera with a fairly decent amount of shots on it, I'm not
sure I want to spend roughly $250. Unless I look at it as $250 to buy
myself time to put the money together for a GH-4 and extra battery grip,
and then I have a backup camera that still uses the MFT lenses.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:27 PM Martin Walters <mwalters1440@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Paul:
> That's what my E-M5 did. Shutter locked up 'down'. Nothing would unstick
> it. It's being repaired by Oly-Canada. Cost is C$305, including taxes
> and shipping. I wondered about replacing rather than repairing; however,
> I'd prefer to wait for the E-M5III. Seems like I'll be using the mkI for
> a while yet.
>
> In the interim been using OM-2N to finish off some film I had. What a
> nice viewfinder........
>
> Martin
>

> On 09/09/2019 8:33 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> > Just got back from three days in Rome and a 7-day Greek cruise.
> >
> > Yesterday, right before we were getting off the bus to walk to Trevi
> > Fountain, I pressed the shutter on my E-M5 to grab a shot of whatever
> > it was we were standing next to, and the camera locked up and went
> > dark. I knew it couldn't be batteries since I had one in the grip as
> > well as the body.
> >
> > I ended up shooting the fountain with the iPhone...
> >
> > Got back to the hotel, charged two batteries up and put them back in
> > the camera. Nothing. Decided to try the
> > let-it-sit-without-batteries-for-24-hours trick. Just got home after
> > no batteries for 30 hours - nada.
> >
> > I looks like my E-M5 may have just died. Not good. A new body ain't in
> > the budget right now.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions before I call Olympus and see how much it
> > might cost to get it repaired?
> >
> > If I decide to just go with a clean used E-M1, will I still be happy?
> > A new body for $1200 or $1600 ain't gonna happen any time soon.
> >
> > At least it held up through the first two days in Rome and on the
> > cruise through Greece.
> >
> > I am, as they say, not happy. Especially since I know I have some
> > shoots coming up in the next month...
> >

> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Anchor, Amateur Radio Newsline
www.ARnewsline.org <http://www.arnewsline.org>
Certified Music Junkie

"The Fountain of Youth is a state of mind" -- The Ides of March, "Age
Before Beauty"