Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 06:05:05 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> If I get a Metabones, my options would be a little more variable as I
> could get the Canon EF mount and use my OM-EF adapter to get the OMs
> adapted. Or, I could get the Metabones OM mount. Do I go with stacked
> adapters or stay with the specific matched adapter? I do like the idea
> of maximum modularity and flexibility, but am mindful of issues with
> stacked adapters.

If you feel no commitment to MFT, I'd get the inexpensive Viltrox ("II") with
the EF-OM ring. Mine fit together well; it doesn't wobble a lot like stacked
adapters often do. It feels tight on anything that isn't big enough to require
it's own tripod mount. I use that combo all the time with the OM 500/8 mirror,
but would not try to hand-hold the OM 300/4.5 that way.

I have the OM Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, and the combo is very refined and
classy looking, if that matters to you. And the Metabones never goes on sale,
so you should be able to salvage much of your purchase price.

Having had the OM 55/1.2 with mixed feelings for many years, I just got a
late-serial OM 50/1.2, and initial impressions with the Metabones is that the
combo fully satisfies the bokeh itch, coming in at 35mm ƒ/0.8!

Jan