Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens choices for m43 - Painful thoughts
From: <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 13:45:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Gee, I feel SO sorry for you.  That was luxury compared to my early years
with a Kodak Retina II and a hand-held Gossen light meter.  When I graduated to
the OM-1 I was in seventh heaven.

     I still have mixed feelings about digital.  Yes, I have almost limitless
access to wonderful legacy MF lenses that I couldn't afford 30 years go.  But,
everything I learned with light correction for film is almost useless.  I still
look at a scene and mentally figure out what filter to use to correct for the
film image to come out right.  This fall I'm going to experiment extensively
with RAW format to see if I can recover that hard-learned experience, which
took years.

     These problems with the stuck shutter on the G-85 (?) costing $350 to
repair make me gag when I think of all the other digital cameras from E-500 to
E-620 I could buy.  Where oh where is the advantage?

>I am fascinated with you guys that use non native lenses with your cameras.
>I feel like there should be some of you in an exhibit in the zoo. My first
>cameras, in college, was a pentax spotmatic. I took good photos, but there
>were things that drove me nuts, and threw many monkey wrenches into my
>works. Lord, lord, screw mount lenses, stop down metering, pre set
>apertures. I didn't want any of that getting in the way of my getting the
>photos I wanted. So I got rid of

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson