Re: [OM] Well, that sucks

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, that sucks
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:40:03 -0400
On 9/14/2019 4:15 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
. burst mode transforms capture of moving things, compared both to film and to
earlier digital with
slow AF. These shots don't happen otherwise

i must disagree in part. The AF on my first digital was slooow. But after that
it has gotten fast enough for me. But one of the things that I did when I began
photography, was to develop mental processes to improve my shooting. One of the
things I practiced was anticipating a shutter release, to allow for the delay,
even on film. Yes it takes practice, but once baked into the brain, it's there
forever.

Old dog, new tricks?

I don't have that capability baked into this brain. I tried that sort of timing when we were in Bhutan in Fall '17, with singular lack of success at nailing that peak moment. With different camera, action AF setting and burst mode, I nailed lots of them. Crutch it may be, but it gets the shots I want.

(And the cost of the pre and post missed shots is, well - Zero.)

I once shot a NCAA regional basketball game with a Nikon F, and got many of the
"money shots." It can be done.

Perhaps for you, an experienced and thoughtful photographer, you can make sort
bursts advantageous, but for most it's just a sloppy and lazy habit born of
inexperience and supported by a lack of improving one's craft.

Thanks for setting me aside from the great unwashed. ;-)

Elevated Moose