Re: [OM] IMG: Grindelwald

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Grindelwald
From: "Michael R. Collins" <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 10:43:59 -0400
About 15 years ago I visited the Morteratsch Glacier in the eastern Swiss Alps. As you approach the glacier there are markers showing the retreating edge over the years; quite disconcerting.

Wkikpedia tells us that "Yearly length change measurements have been recorded since 1878. For the period to 1998, the overall retreat was over 1.8 km (1.1 mi) with a mean annual retreat rate of approximately 17.2 m (56 ft) per year. This long-term average has markedly increased in recent years, receding 30 m (98 ft) per year from 1999–2005. Substantial retreat was ongoing through 2006 as well. During the last ten years, it lost another 1 kilometre (0.62 mi)."

Michael