Re: [OM] IMG: The Bone Yard

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Bone Yard
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 14:20:06 -0800
> The 200 is an older version of the top of the line. The 350 is the hottest
> corporate turboprop out there. Akk the King airs are noted for their
> suitability for shorter stage lengths, suitability for unimproved fields, and
> low cost of operation. And they have a reputation for being built like a
> tank. The 200 and 350 both have T tails. the 90 is the smallest and oldest of
> all. The 90 was an outgrwoth of the QueenAir, an early pressurized piston
> twin that was fitted with a pair of PT6's. The 90 has been made better in
> many ways over the years, and is good for smaller needs. The 90 is
> distinguished by its conventional tail.

I thought the 90 was outfitted with a Garrett and the PT6 came later
and became standard for the entire line.

> And don't forget the 1900, a stretched and blown up King Air that served as a
> 19 passenger airliner when those were common. It wasn't the best, but it sure
> beat a Swearingen Metro.

I've taken MANY flights in those. Including the one that later had an
unfortunate space/time continuum problem with a 90 at Quincy,
Illinois. It turns out that the emergency escape could become
jammed--trapping the passengers inside.

I always thought that the Metroliner and the 1900 were right at the
knife edge of performance. I got bumped from more than one flight
because the temperature was one degree too high.

I think the bulk of the 1900s are flying here in Alaska. I see one or
two of them almost every time I'm at an airport.

AK Schnozz