Re: [OM] IMG: The Bone Yard

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Bone Yard
From: Bill Pearce <billpearce@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 19:33:43 -0400 (EDT)
Nope. The only one with the cursed GArrett was a very short run of the 200.
This was when the company was still being run by Mrs. Beech. She was, despite
her humble background, a bralliant businesswoman. Should she lived longer, the
company might have grown a lot more and no been decimated, as it was under the
thumb of Raytheon. They were having problems in their dealings with P&W, and
she said, loosely, WE'll show them! P&W thought they had beech by the balls,
but they put the garretts in the B200 and brought P&W to heel.

Now there are some companies that have STC's to put Garretts on aircraft that
came with a PT6. I'm familiar with the Garretts from flying in cessna 441's,
the King air Killer a sit was known inside the company, and we all know how
that worked out.The garretts are slightly more efficient, but from my
experience, they produce more noise that thrust. The engine is controlled by
prop pitch, and operates at 90 to 100% power regardless. On the ramp, they are
dangerous. I saw several displayed at Oshkosh a few years ago, and said to the
salesman, don't folks have a problem with the noise? Why they are whisper quiet
he says, and I walked away shaking my head. Beech has always been right there
for the PT6. They are still there, in not only King Airs but in more muscular
versions, the T-6 and the AT-6. The PT6 no comes in many different versions,
and the big one is at least 3 times the HP of the small one..

I think Alaska is about the only place they still live on. But they are ideal
for a lot of Alaskan routes. The Metro is a weird frankenstein combination of
new parts and old ones from scrapped King Airs. Not the most uncomfortable to
fly on, but certainly number 2. With the larger versions of the PT6 you
wouldn't have been bumped. But they didn't make them in time.