Re: [OM] RAID 0 for 2 SSD's---all show and risk, or speedy solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] RAID 0 for 2 SSD's---all show and risk, or speedy solution?
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 08:46:34 -0700
>From what I understand, SSD fail less than HDDs (1-3% HDD to 0.1-0.3% SSD)
>however SSDS suffer a higher rate of unrecoverable read errors. So everything
>may be hunky dorry until you go for that one file that has read error. I
>suspect you are correct in risk doubled with raid 0. As long as you employ
>backup in your scheme, raid 0 would be acceptable, IMO.

I have also "heard" that the higher percentage of the SSD used, the more wear
happens on the remaining storage.

I have M.2 PCIe drive in my main PC. They are know to run hot. Not sure if that
affects reliability? Are the SSDs in the laptop M.2 Sata or M.2 PCIe? For
performance, a PCIe M.2 is pretty fast and Raid 0 for speed seems overkill.
Raid 0 does increase the volume size. Again, IMO, if you need the main drive to
be as large as possible, raid 0 will help, but not sure on the performance gain
advantage.

WayneS