Re: [OM] [OT] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Topaz Studio 2 artistic explorations
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 07:21:25 -0700
At 10/2/2019 10:25 AM, Bill wrote:
>I have a problem with the use of the words artistic expression with purchased
>plug-ins.

Change the wording to "artistic style" instead of "artistic expression."

One point I was *implying* is that the use of AI, in particular TensorFlow
machine learning, is at the basis of much of the tools coming from TopazLabs.
And IMO is a significant new approach to the processing of images. The artistic
styles behind AI ReMix capability is just one of many things in TopazLab tools.
Consider using the technology behind Sharpen AI, DeNoise AI, ... - there is a
whole world of possibilities. I applaud TopazLabs for seeing its potential and
providing it. What I discussed is only two things in the Studio 2.

> There may be some artistic expression involved, but it's someone else's
> artistic expression, not yours. I knew a guy who graduated from a super big
> deal photo school in California who when he went digital, got a "magic"
> filter. It cost hundreds of dollars, and was only available as a dongle. He
> applied it ti EVERY image he shot. Some were OK, ubt others looked more than
> a little overcooked. Everything had a distinctive look, appropriate to the
> image or not.

>As far as I know, the Topaz filters are still just photoshop actions.you can
>come up with your own.

So you have an opinion based on history. But what Studio 2 is providing is a
very flexible framework with a lot of tuning that does require the operator to
apply some "artistic" judgement. I agree with CTein's latest comments in his
newsletter:

"I am quite happy to do things the "lazier" way if it gets me the results I
want. In fact, I seek out those lazy ways. I can accomplish more and have more
fun doing it. So far as I'm concerned, those are moral virtues. Not hitting
myself over the head with a brick because it will "build character" or
whatever, that's a good thing."

I don't think you understand how the AI is working. It is highly unlikely that
the image processing involved with TensorFlow learning could be easily
translated into photoshop actions. One may come up with a way, in photoshop, to
recreate the effect on a particular photo, but would be hard to generalize.

For example. Suppose there is a lens that gives really great bokeh, but is
otherwise a bit soft. And another lens that is sharp but the bokeh creates
sharp outlines and other bad bokeh artifacts. Feed this information into
TensorFlow machine learning and create a new AI bokeh filter.

Bokeh AI - (Only $49.99) which is different from using photoshop to blur the
background. One could, with photoshop, create selections of all the sharp areas
and subtly blur background areas of that tact sharp image with crappy
background bokeh. But one is going to need to apply "intelligence" to
distinguish what is sharp image and what is sharp bokeh edges. Not something
that can be generalize into a PS action.

Bokeh AI can learn about bokeh and potentially do all that work for you.

Next up you have that great silver nosed lens that creates a certain "look".
Lets feed that into TensorFlow and come up with...

Ag Schnozz AI - which can be used to apply that special silver nose look to
your images. (We'll discount this to only $29.99).

We can go further and create other interesting things. Rather than figuring out
the deconvolution of a lens's characteristics, use the technology of machine
learning to correct for a lens. ...

Lens AI

New styles: Up and coming we have...

Moose AI
Jim Nichols AI

Maybe we can immortialize our style of photography in some way? Afterall, some
of us are getting long in the tooth. Moose AI, however, requires a lot more
adjustment sliders than most.

I'm having *fun* with the tools and my photo "seeing" has been affected by
knowing what is possible.

Artificailly Intelligent - WayneS