[OM] Adapters R Us

Subject: [OM] Adapters R Us
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 15:58:00 -0800
Thanks to that rain-forest company, I was able to purchase an adapter
for the m43 camera. I was seriously thinking about the Metabones, but
ran into a couple of logic fails along the way. So, I went a different
route.

One problem is that I spent far too much money on another toy. I got
the Bose Quiet Control 30 earbuds. That ended up costing a lot more
money than I wanted, but it's an important improvement in my work
world as I can close out the distractions in this cube farm. And they
are great for travelling, and will make flying more enjoyable.

I do plan on acquiring a full-frame camera, but it looks like this
will be delayed deep into 2020. This should give enough time for the
Panasonics S1 to hit the used market and/or come down in price.
Instead of spending $600 on a Metabones adapter, I'd rather put that
money towards a full-frame camera.

The other thing thing is that for wide to normal focal lengths, the
m43 lenses are actually remarkably good and are quite usable. It's the
longer focal lengths where adapted lenses have advantages. So, the
crop factor really isn't as big of a deal as it would be if I was
trying to go with a 100% OM Zuiko environment. An example of this
would be the "normal" focal length. I can inexpensively adapt an OM
Zuiko 21/3.5 or 24/2.8 to the m43 body, but it really doesn't offer
any significant advantage of the $99 24/1.7 that I just bought.

So, this means that I just need to adapt the OM Zuikos to the m43 body
without worrying about using a focal-length reducer. The question then
is what adapter to get? I noodled this quite a bit and planned on
getting an OM-m43 adapter so I wouldn't need to stack adapters. The
best one is probably the Metabones. But the problem I ran into was
that Metabones didn't really make it easy to buy the adapter. Somebody
needs to explain to them that shipping fees and product availability
is kinda important.

I ended up buying the standard Olympus MMF-3 adapter. This way, I can
maintain compatibility with the Four-Thirds system. I'll just stack
the two Olympus adapters to use the OMZ lenses. This also provides
maximum modularity between all the systems.

Before going this route, I did verify the integrity and condition of
the OM-E adapter and unlike my OM-EF adapter, this thing is just like
new. The Olympus adapters are a little pricier than others, but they
are built well.

AG Schnozz