[OM] Nathan's PAD 3/10/2019: testing my new GX80

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 3/10/2019: testing my new GX80
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 06:59:26 +0200
Since I have a reasonably nice collection of micro 4/3 lenses, I decided to get
another body besides the GM5 I use when cycling. Following some discussions
with Moose and others, I got the Panasonic GX80, also known as GX85 or GX800 in
some markets, just to confuse prospective buyers. I picked up a second-hand one
from Ffordes in Scotland, as good as news except for the absence of original
packaging, for 219 pounds. The nice thing about buying stuff in the UK is that
Brexit has not yet happened, so there are no customs formalities or additional
charges, but the pound’s slide following the various disasters the UK is
inflicting on itself makes it a cheaper proposition than buying from the usual
sources such as Amazon or camera stores on the Continent. The camera arrived in
my office last Wednesday afternoon, so after charging the battery and setting
the various settings to my liking, I set off to test it on Thursday—before,
during and after work. Three of my test images follow.

Before work: sunrise on our beach:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NsLCJ5K/A

During work: one of the usual victims enters my lair:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-VS5rpNB/A

After work: four women, one of whom I know from work, enjoy a dinner outside
Tutti’s on this warm October evening:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-6p66GZL/A

I like this camera; as I have been walking around with it the past few days, it
reminds me of my Seville days in 2003-2004 when I was using a Leica CL during
trips to travel light. The GX80 is to my usual Fuji outfit what the CL was to
my Leica M outfit. I am heading to Brussels this afternoon and the GX80 is
coming along with me. My shoulders will thank me.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain