[OM] Nathan's PAD 11/10/2019: "we will never forget", Brussels

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 11/10/2019: "we will never forget", Brussels
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 01:36:18 +0200
I just came back tonight from a couple of days in Brussels, a city that is one
of my “second homes” both because I lived there for 5 years in the 1990s and
because I visit so often. This afternoon, I went to St Gilles, an immigrant
neighbourhood near the Gare du Midi train station, which was the home of many
Brussels Jews, most of whom perished in the Holocaust.

My cousin Nicole is involved with an organisation called AMS, L'Association
pour la Mémoire de la Shoah. One of their activities is to place memorial
cobblestones in front of houses that were once homes of a victim of the
Holocaust. Today, they were placing such a memorial stone in front of Rue
Joseph Claes 103, an ordinary building on an ordinary street where something
extraordinary happened 73 years ago. Six images follow.

The stone is placed and the representative of the AMS makes a short speech:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-zDPLFDw/A

The pavé de la mémoire:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-ms6jdK3/A

Nicole also spoke:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-2BKGMLT/A

A group of students from a local high school were there too, and one of them
made a brief speech too:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-db78LHh/A

The students were from various ethnic backgrounds, and at the end of the
ceremony each of them took the microphone and said “we will never forget” in
their own language:

https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NsqCgxt/A
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Gvv8hKg/A

All in all, a half hour very well spent.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain