[OM] Nathan's PAD 28/10/2019: cold and empty streets

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/10/2019: cold and empty streets
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 08:13:00 +0200
I am in Helsinki right now, a short business trip before flying on to
Copenhagen and a few days’ vacation later today. I arrived in Finland on
Wednesday night, and rather than having dinner with my colleagues (we are 5
people from the office here), I spent the evening walking around,
re-discovering the city I used to visit very frequently in the late 1990s but
had not visited since 2001. I felt a certain pleasure recognising the familiar
places, despite the bitterly cold temperature—it was below freezing even though
we are only in October. For that reason, the streets were virtually deserted
after 9 p.m. Four images from my walk.

Stockmann is a grand old department store in the centre. I remember that there
was a nice bar in the basement where I sometimes sought escape from the cold:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4kvVKNs/A

The main Esplanade connecting the centre with the harbour. I used to stay in
Hotel Kämp, one of the buildings on the left:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-hpWz7xd/A

Helsinki City Hall:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-vqd3ZQz/A

Sofia Street with the Lutheran cathedral in the background:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-RVMqpXs/A

Of all the cities I have visited, Helsinki is the one that changes the most
from winter to summer. On a July day when the sun barely sets, these streets
look like a Mediterranean town.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman