Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/10/2019: cold and empty streets

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/10/2019: cold and empty streets
From: Piers Hemy <piers.hemy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 17:32:55 +0000
Put yourself in the shoes of the Finns, Chris. Formerly part of the Russian
Empire, independent since 1917, and having lost much territory to the Russians
after 1945, it is understandable that they treat their neighbour with
circumspection, without getting too close to "the other side". We can no doubt
think of a recent example which has chosen the opposite route.

On the other hand, the unconventional tactics employed by the Finns during the
Winter War (e.g. bicycle infantry attacking field kitchens and thereby
thwarting an armoured attack) were a clear example of the advantages of knowing
the territory and being equipped for the weather.

Piers