Re: [OM] E-M5 mk III

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 mk III
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 06:46:16 -0800
Thanks out-of-breath Moose for all that information in one place. It really
helps.

At 11/18/2019 09:49 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 11/18/2019 7:26 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
>>I am curious how well the E-M5 iii does focus stacking.
>
>>I have not had great success with focus stacking using PS when taking photos
>>with a lot of cactus needles. For instance a shot like this (using Helicon
>>Focus and 6 images)
>>https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkDVwpHqXpfiS9n16
>
>Nice! But, like me, all too often, you have missed the closest focus, leaving
>soft points nearest the camera. Panny has another mode available, starting
>with current focus position, it alternates closer and further focal planes.

I was not clear on the focus bracketing. Can they be taken sequentially?
Here is a good description of the various methods for stacking in Helicon focus:

https://www.heliconsoft.com/helicon-focus-main-parameters/

The Helicon focus has three methods. I most often use the B method, which
requires the images be in consecutive order, front to back. It will also create
masks and you can export the layers for PS. Focus bracketing that alternates
from a starting focus point would make it very inconvenient.

>>PS would not get the smooth transitions on all the needles, often creating
>>little out of focus blobs on the tips requiring a lot of post mask editing to
>>fix. Helicon seems to handle it with ease, but best if the stack is not
>>random focus.
>
>I do want to try other stackers, but what with being on the road for seven
>weeks recently, haven't found the time.
<...>

WayneS