Re: [OM] Batteries for EM5

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for EM5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:37:39 -0800
On 11/21/2019 7:18 AM, Frank wrote:
There is a German guy who tests and opens batteries for Olympus camera's.

He is not very positive about 3d party batteries and backups his opinions
with facts and measurements.

Here he tests a Duracel option
<https://pen-and-tell.de/2016/11/akkus-jetzt-wirds-kriminell/>. Short:
don't buy it. If you don't want to buy original, buy the cheapest on eBay.
Big chance it won't be worse then a premium 3d party brand one.

I quite agree. I used a fair number of third party batteries in my Canon Rebel, 5D & 60D and E-M5 and E-M5 II bodies. They never performed up to OEM batteries. Mostly they performed well enough. Brand name was just a label slapped on batteries made in what I assume are only 2-3 factories.

I don't remember the details for the Canons. For the Olys, I used batteries from Wasabi, Progo, Powerextra and Newmoma. I can't say I saw any brand consistently standing out as better/worse.

There was always a nagging suspicion that none of them fully implemented Oly's communication coding. The Wasabis were the first, and the battery condition indicators on the bodies clearly weren't accurate. The others were a bit better. Someone had done some testing that indicated that, although both OEM and other batteries did charge on either charger, that best charges came from charging Oly batteries on their chargers, and vice versa.

On OlyAmerica's web site, the battery listings all say they are good for 500 charges. I don't take that literally; too many variables. But these things don't last forever. I retired the Wasabis from regular service when it seemed they were tiring. One Progo started to be a tight fit, and a closer look showed it was swelling.

Interestingly, perhaps oddly, I always used the third party batteries first on any day. That way, when they ran out, the Olys guaranteed at least as much use as I had already had, almost certainly more. Thus my Oly batteries are actually very lightly used.

So I also suggest buying third party batteries on price. Certainly not by known brand names. Like Duracell, they are all just licensed to slap on generic product.

I do like the third party chargers. They all (that I've seen) have a 12v input, and can be used directly from a vehicle 12v outlet. A boon to folks with RVs, etc.

Powerful Confusion Moose