Re: [OM] Batteries for the EM5

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for the EM5
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:04:39 -0800
At 11/24/2019 07:27 AM, Larry wrote:

>>From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>  I had not realised that Dur*cell might be associated with
>>'doubtful' products as I have never had problems with their conventional
>>batteries for day to day applications.
>
>Â I got Wasabi BLN-1 equivalents batteries from Amazon around 2015, and they
>served me well until earlier this year.  I recharged all my batteries before
>a trip, and discovered that both Wasabi batteries no longer slid into the
>camera.  A close inspection showed that they had bulged ever so slightly.  I
>was not surprised that this happened, but that it happened to both batteries
>at the exact same time.  My two Olympus batteries were fine.  All had been
>regularly charged with the Wasabi charger, which IÂ  use because it takes less
>space in my camera bag - no need to carry a separate power cord.
>
>After the trip, I looked for new batteries online.  The impression I got
>researching Duracell branded rechargeable camera batteries was that Duracell
>had licensed its name to someone else for rechargeable camera batteries.  I
>ended up just getting  more Wasabis.
>
>If I upgrade to an E-M5 III at some point, my experience might make me
>hesitate to charge the a third party battery in the camera, though.

Classic Lion battery problem. As they age and no longer hold as much charge,
eventually the charger will do them in and start producing volatile gases. My
cell phone, after 3 years, started to bulge. The battery was sealed and the gas
expanded inside it.

I give most Lion about 3 years of life depending on use and handling. I don't
believe the internal memory chips can really track a battery very well near end
of life, hence tendency to over charge them.

I remember my Canon batteries all died about the same time, as if just sitting
around they aged.

WayneS