Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 24/11/2019: sensor cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 24/11/2019: sensor cleaning
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 08:39:24 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>
> I wonder if sensors generally would benefit from a periodic clean to remove
> grime that must build up during normal use

I'm pretty happy with Olympus's in-camera sensor cleaning, which they pioneered
in the 4/3rds days. I don't know if other manufacturers have gotten around
their patent or not.

Occasionally, I'll see evidence of something on the sensor. I cycle the power a
couple times, with the camera oriented in the normal position, and it's gone.
So I have NEVER cleaned a sensor, nor had one cleaned, in some two decades!

Note that if you are in the habit of turning the camera on while it lies on
it's back, the ultrasonic cleaning will not work. Or if you turn it on
lens-down, the dust will come off, but will fall right back. You need to turn
it on with the camera base-down, so the dust shaken off hits the sticky tape.

Jan