Re: [OM] Almost a year later...

Subject: Re: [OM] Almost a year later...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 10:39:18 -0900
> Now, at this point in time, where are the museums? the palm trees? the
> vineyeards? please.

How many museums do you want? Granted, you won't find many "Western
Civ" works, but you will find art that is more representative of the
thousands of years of history here.

Palm trees? You CAN grow a couple varieties here. We live in the
"Banana Belt" of Alaska. It's far more temperate here along the Cook
Inlet than the interior where the temperatures typically get up to 40
degrees colder. The dividing line is quite close--I can be in
permafrost within an hour drive. Alpine Tundra is just up the hill
from me--Our first place we lived in had alpine tundra right behind
the house.

Vineyards? There are four. Unsurprisingly, they specialize in "ice
wines". However, one very good gin distiller is located in Alaska.

Sarah? If it wasn't for the Palins, we would have to find someone else
to pick on around here. EVERYBODY has a Palin story. The children are
rather expressive when alcohol is involved--and with them, it usually
is. The funny thing is that what is considered outrageous behavior
anywhere else, is actually pretty much the norm here. Consider that
"Alaskan Bush People" isn't too far out of character for some portion
of the population and that helps explain the Palins.

AK Schnozz