Re: [OM] OT: One for Chris T

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: One for Chris T
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 16:10:24 +0000
Yes, a fault in the engine that spoiled the flow might cause a stall and surge.

In aircraft that I’ve flown there were built-in faults which meant that you
avoided the regime of risk – airspeed, altitude, rate of throttle movement.
The horrible Pratt and Whitney in come models of F16 had limitations like that,
but that came with the mechanical controls.  The later engines with digital
control were much more pilot-friendly.

The Adour engine in the Jaguar would surge if you tried to light the burner
above about 15,000ft; the RB199 in the Tornado would give you similar bangs but
it normally meant that something had gone wrong with the bits inside, like a
vapourised turbine blade :-)

Chris