Re: [OM] Almost a year later...

Subject: Re: [OM] Almost a year later...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 09:24:13 -0900
>      You might find this chart from the Alaska Earthquake Center to be
> interesting:
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10221163026369336&set=gm.1429272370571058&type=3&theater&ifg=1
>      It shows the nature of the subduction fault at Anchorage as well as the
> epicenters of the past four major events.

I think Tesla should name their new truck, the "Aleutian Megathrust".

The 1964 earthquake was the one that really helped describe and define
megathrust faults. Alaska is a scientific Petridish for the study of
tectonic plates. Last year's event was seemingly odd as it was an
intraplate rupture as it occured not along any existing fault line.
This analysis is excellent as it describes how and why the earthquake
occured where it did, with the location of the subducting Pacific
Plate. The slab that split last year is about 50 miles across and
rotates counter-clockwise on top of the subducted plate. This quake
created an entirely new fault-line north-to-south.

The aftershocks from these recent events are gold to researchers.
They've been able to map things that they never new existed and create
all new plate models.

AK Schnozz