Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 21:55:17 -0800
On 12/2/2019 12:47 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
A late response here...

Does anyone have a crystal ball or sufficient experience with how Phase
One does things to make a reasonably educated guess?
I have no direct answer to that question, but will express a
counter-thought.

As expected, I agree, and disagree.

The Adobe Creative-Cloud suite is cost-effective,

Agreed.

and the advances are so aggressive that it's leaving everything else in
the dust.

Disagree. Yes, plenty of improvements. But, Topaz' new AI series bring capabilities that are huge steps up from what PS/LR can do. They are not perfect. They have quirks. But they can do really amazing stuff nothing else can, as yet, touch.

Photoshop itself has turned into a pudgy low-development
turd,

You knew I would disagree. Because you don't use it, you don't see the continuing improvements, both in new functions and in improvements in old ones.

but Lightroom (both classic on cloud) is moving forward so fast
and with incredible features

Elucidate, please. I just tried to duplicate something I had done to someone else's image in PS in LR. Where is the Levels control - or equivalent? How do I simply move the midpoint of the histogram, or pull highlights up and.or shadows down to just kiss the ends? Such a basic capability that I can't believe it not there.

Does LR do plug-ins? I couldn't see that, either. So, if I want to use Topaz Sharpen AI, as I did on Mike's Pup, I have to export in TIFF, process in Topaz, save, then open in LR. Oh, that's right, I can't just open it, I have to import it first. That's a lot of extra steps and time. In PS, I just start the plug-in, and get back a new layer with the process applied. To try and compare the three sharpening options and some settings, that becomes a nightmare. In PS, I just end up with a few layers I can turn on an off, so make simple, direct comparisons. Then, if I want to apply different types and/or amounts, masks do that in moments.

LR = Sludge.

which are obsoleting most of the other plugins and processing tools.

BS Some old ones, sure.

As you know, I'm anything but an Adobe "fanboy", but I'm more than
happy to pay my $10 a month ($120 year) to always have the latest
greatest and not worry about perpetual licenses which are quickly
obsoleted by new computers and operating system upgrades.

Back in sync. :-)

Happily Skeptical Moose