Re: [OM] Lightroom and External Drive Notes

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightroom and External Drive Notes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 16:16:18 -0900
Terabyte Tina wrote:
> The only thing that seems slow is moving folders.  I'm reorganizing and
> when I move a folder that contains over 1000 photos within LR it sometimes
> takes a full day.  I can continue to work on other photos at the same time
> so it's a minor nuisance.

Moving or copying folders is certainly a major pain. Last month, when
I did my massive restructuring, it was a huge time suck. The average
transfer speed was around 50 MBPS when moving gigs worth of stuff
around. Sometimes faster (75-100 MBPS), sometimes slower (10-25 MPBS).
Those backups and disk copies were all-night processes.

I'm caught up now with all my duplicates, so I should be just doing
delta copying at this point, until I get the next drive.

I've thought about going with a DROBO or equivalent. It's definitely
something worthwhile, but I usually prefer keeping my life more
portable--the only desktop computer I have has a full-blown CS5 video
production setup, but it's getting quite obsolete, so I'll retire that
out once I'm fully up to speed with video editing on the Macbook Pro.

At this point, ALL new purchases will be native USB-C interfaces with
10Gbps. (Don't ask which 3.x that is, as it's rather confusing). I
won't buy any more drives or computers without it. The WD My Passport
Ultra 4TB drive has this interface, the WD Easystore does not. I
bought the Easystore as it will end up as a backup drive in a year or
two when I upgrade computers.

AG Schnozz