Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 22:38:17 -0800
On 12/6/2019 10:30 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Multi-Layered Moose wrote:
As expected, I agree, and disagree.
All is right with the world again. :)

Disagree. Yes, plenty of improvements. But, Topaz' new AI series bring
capabilities that are huge steps up from what
PS/LR can do. They are not perfect. They have quirks. But they can do really
amazing stuff nothing else can, as yet, touch.
The problem is that it's not even at the 90% rule yet. I can't live
there 90% of the time.

Disagree again. There are ongoing updates, getting closer and closer to
"perfect".

Here's an example, using three of the Topaz AI tools. I previously posted the first three images, and was pretty happy with the results. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/TopazAI_Gigapixel/AsianFalcon.htm>

Using Topaz Denoise AI and then a couple doses of Sharpen AI, first using the Stabilize option, then the focus option, then a little LCE and Curves gives a FAR better result. Then AI Gigapixel does a wonderful job of doubling the size.

This is magic stuff.

It has become an extremely rare event when I have to leave LR at all.

You knew I would disagree. Because you don't use it, you don't see the
continuing improvements, both in new functions and in improvements in old ones.
Essentially, whatever is being developed for LR is being included in
PS whenever possible.

You gonna have to give me examples, 'cause I know nothing. PS has added some wonderful improvements in selection tools, which can't have come from LR.

But the difference is that in LR, it's much more
integrated into the workflow whereas with PS, it's a tool that you
have to pull out of the toolbox to use. It's the difference between
having a well equipped toolbelt vs. a well equipped toolbox.

Well, I gonna claim that the many Actions I have created speed up that process
a lot.

Elucidate, please. I just tried to duplicate something I had done to someone
else's image in PS in LR. Where is the
Levels control - or equivalent? How do I simply move the midpoint of the
histogram, or pull highlights up and.or shadows
down to just kiss the ends? Such a basic capability that I can't believe it not
there.
You obviously must not be looking very hard because there are at least
three places in LR where you can do just that. And that includes a
manipulable histogram,

Ah, OK, I see that. I could use it, although it's awkward for what I want. Because it just moves the sliders, the center just moves overall exposure, which changes the ends, then I have to (re)adjust the ends, and it takes iterations to get right, but I can get where I want. "Stupid easy" in PS. :-)

curves controls,

I love Curves, but it don't do this.

as well as sliders for everything.

Wellll . . . not everything. Where's the center point slider that doesn't
change the end points?

Does LR do plug-ins?
Yes.

Ah, I see, Plug-ins are "External Editors".

I couldn't see that, either. So, if I want to use Topaz Sharpen AI, as I did on
Mike's Pup, I have
to export in TIFF, process in Topaz, save, then open in LR. Oh, that's right, I
can't just open it, I have to import it
first. That's a lot of extra steps and time. In PS, I just start the plug-in,
and get back a new layer with the process
applied. To try and compare the three sharpening options and some settings,
that becomes a nightmare. In PS, I just end
up with a few layers I can turn on an off, so make simple, direct comparisons.
Then, if I want to apply different types
and/or amounts, masks do that in moments.
"Layers and Masks" is just one method of image manipulation.

But, it's mine, and, to me, "stupid easy" My Actions mean one click creates a new layer, names it and puts me into the tool I want.

Masks are also very precise. The Adjustment Brush in LR is, to me, wildly imprecise. I admit the Range Mask Tool doesn't make intuitive sense to me. I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

But to your concern, it's stupid-easy to create a "virtual copy" and do
whatever it is you want to each one.

Not sure I understand. How do I apply Snap Art 4, for example, to just a
precisely defined part of an image?

LR = Sludge.
I've been finding ways to greatly improve the speed of my LR
environment. Over the past couple of months, I've discovered several
significant things that have completely revolutionized the experience:

1. SSD external work drive for my active/current catalog/images.

PS does all its work in memory (32G) and caches. I have the caches on an SSD. I don't know how writes to my primary image drive compare to other drives. I have noticed improvements in both caching and writing to disk in recent updates.

Still Ignorant Moose