Re: [OM] the war is over, they won

Subject: Re: [OM] the war is over, they won
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:29:24 -0800
On 12/12/2019 8:16 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
<>
:::: It has come to a level where the cameras are better than 99% of the
photographers out there. -- Robin Wong ::::

Hasn't this always been true? I think so.

In fact, I'd be willing to argue something related the reverse. For most of our 19 years together, Carol has been a good photographer - by the simple expedient of pointing at a subject and saying something like "Pretty, Moose". I'd then take her photo.

She tried a couple of digital P&Ss, but it was too much fuss and bother. For last Spring in Bhutan, she asked me to get her a phone with a better camera. Since acquiring an iPhone Xs*, she has been taking her own photos.

Are they technically good? In terms of qualities of the image separate from subject, etc., not particularly, if looked at as I edit photos. OTOH, they look pretty great on the phone screen. On Yet Another Hand, they are significantly better than the photos produced in the billions by Instamatics and their ilk.

Are they technically good in the other senses, subject, compositions, and so on. Yes, they largely are. She noted the other day, near the end of our couple of weeks in Ireland, how often we had been standing in the same place, taking the same photos.

It might it be argued that contemporary cameras, albeit most of them in phones and tablets, are pulling up the quality of the photos of at least some people, I suspect many.

You haven't lived one aspect of contemporary photography until you have participated in
an "Airdrop frenzy".

Brownie Hawkeye Moose

* I now have the same phone. The camera is still crap, but less crappy than they were. :-) I especially recommend those with such gadgets check out the Halide photo app. It does some magic with at least this phone** camera.

** speaking of apostrophes, and evolution of language, remember when we put one in front
of "phone"?