Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] Capture One upgrade roulette
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2019 11:36:31 -0800
At 12/10/2019 03:59 PM, Wide Angled Moose wrote:
>Random comments on my experiences in some of these:
>
>If you shoot wide:
>Cap1, Affinity and ON1 all used, when I tried them, lens profiles from
>LensFun, which weren't very good. Not awful, but not up to the OlySonic µ4/3
>profiles used by Adobe, And both PTLens and DxO profiles are better yet.
>
>If a wide angle shot from contemporary lenses that rely on firm/software
>distortion correction is corrected in all software I know of - except - DxO
>(or with extra messing about in PTL), the image gets wider when corrected, and
>is then cropped, thus throwing away some of the AoV of the lens.
>
>DxO will do that, if you want, or will output a larger file, with more pixels
>of width. The difference can be fairly dramatic.
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/DXO/Dist_Corr.htm>
>-------------
>As a mostly µ4/3 shooter, I'm used to the PannyPus lens profiles that are
>baked into ACR/PS/LR for everything but SWA. I see Adobe provides their own
>profiles for Sony mount AF lenses, but have no idea how good they may be.
>
>Tools/approach to editing differ a lot. Affinity, ON1 (and Affinity?) take the
>basic approach of endless presets; pick your preset and you may be done, with
>no sliders to adjust.
>
>I just saw a blurb for some app that skips even that, applying "AI" to get it
>right in no time. Not my way.

I am looking into these comments...

I'm not sure I understand about getting wide angle correction. I have DxO
PhotoLab 3. I have a shot at 16mm from the 16-35mm/f4 Soney Zeiss. DxO will
import lens profiles.

Under Geometry > Distortion  it has Correction "Auto with DxO Optics Module".

It definitely does some correction but the Saguaro cactus still lean inward on
he the sides. Is there another step or setting I should look for? Newbie with
DxO. Or is this it?

If curious, here is the output from DxO PhotoLab. **Warning**, it is 140MB file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxwf9hdwyhyrf5s/A7302214_DxO.tif?dl=0
but can be viewed from dropbox.

Thanks
WayneS