Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200

Subject: Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 11:28:37 -0800
Oops. link shouldbe <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8076>

On 12/16/2019 11:27 AM, Moose wrote:
On 12/16/2019 3:49 AM, Piers Hemy wrote:
That strikes me as a reasonable and wise approach, Nathan. Certainly applies
to the Zuiko 18-180 for 4/3. But certainly does not apply to the Vario-Elmar
14-150 for 4/3 - it is most definitely for a "free" lunch, but is a
remarkably good value mini-banquet!

I'm guessing you mean the Vario-Elmar 14-140, as opposed to the Oly 14-150? Very similar results. I swapped from Oly to Panny simply for OIS on the GM5. I like it at least as well.

As to the 18-180, that Moose fellow had this to say, back in 2013:
---------
It's easy to fall into the idea that the M.Z lenses are just remounted or
slightly changed versions of the DZ lenses.

Not True. Once they realized how slow to focus existing designs were, they redesigned each one extensively, to make the focusing element/group as small and light as possible. This and a different type of motor allow fast, silent focus. They call them MSC (Movie and Still Compatible)

In the process, they've used some later lens tech. I've cobbled together from a few sources a direct comparison of the 18-180 Joel is talking about and our 14-150s. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8073>

Each has 15 elements, four of those in the 18-180 are 'special' glass, two ED and two aspheric. Seven elements in the 14-150 are special, five of more complex/advanced types.

The results show up in the much better MTFs.
-------

Quoting Moose