Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200

Subject: Re: [OM] another one with the 12-200
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 15:24:27 -0900
Traveling Moose wrote:
> On the road, the bag is just transport. In the field, it stays in car or
> room. I carry two camera bodies around my neck
> and often a third clipped to my belt. The PLeica 12-60 and 100-400 are on the
> bodies around my neck. There's a pouch with achromatic C-U lenses for both
> also on my belt or in a photo vest.

As my back has become highly sensitive to weight carried on the
shoulders or neck, I've had to alter my ways with hiking. The cute
little GX85 is earning its keep in this regard and a pure joy to carry
around on 10 mile hikes into the mountains. My can of bear spray
weighs more than the entire camera/lens kit.

But when I'm near the car, I want everything with me. This place is a
photographer's paradise. I don't want to be thinking "rats, I left the
100/2 home."

These days, pretty much all cameras and lenses are excellent. It's not
like 25 years ago where there was much variation between them.
However, while everything is competent, I find there there is nuance
between them that I like to explore and exploit. It's in the margins
where we find the differences, not in the main body.

It's like stereo gear. EVERYTHING is rated flat 20-20kHz, 0.000001%
distortion. Then why do some speakers or amplifiers sound better than
others?

In all honesty, I find that the Panasonic kit leaves me slightly cold.
I can't put my finger on it, but the images seem to lack the
"Schnozzification Effect" that I seek.

AG Schnozz