Re: [OM] Best way to catch up with PS CC vs CS6

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to catch up with PS CC vs CS6
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 22:41:48 -0800
On 12/31/2019 1:39 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Any suggestions?

First, let's get our nomenclature straight.  As of v(20)20, "CC" is gone, and it's just "Photoshop" again. Mike, you missed the whole "CC" thing! :-)

Yes. Pay the tax. It's well worth it.

Yup!

The fact that I never have to worry about buying an upgrade means a
lot. Granted PS itself has seen very little significant upgrade in the
past 10 years, but there are enough little things (like the content
aware features and selection tools) that it isn't worth trying to gnaw
on that old, stale, moldy piece of bread called CS6.

As expected, I disagree. The problem may be one of perception. There have been only a relative few "headline" features added. That just might be because, by PS6, it had more features than most folks could keep track of. It also featured multiple ways to do many things. That they often worked in slightly different ways, allowing subtle differences in the result would not impress the feature counters, while appreciated be real users.

It's my impression, as a heavy, regular user, that PS has been continuously improving. Did PS6 have Smart Fill, and its allies? I just don't remember I do know it started out a bit rocky, and has improved into a really powerful tool.

Another example. For years, I went through various downsampling plug-ins for getting photos to web display size. One day, I was having some trouble, and checked around. OH, PS had improved its tool, and was as good or better, and that's what I've used since.

I know they upped their game with NR quite a lot, although I don't use it.

The selection tools have multiplied and improved. "Select Subject" came recently and is now supplemented with "Select Object". Neither is perfect, but both are huge time savers. Often, a short visit to "Select and Mask" will finish the job.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that one may indeed search for the headline items, but it's in real use that other improvements will show themselves.

As to tutorials, I'm not the one to ask. The only one I recall viewing and really getting something from in ages is the Adobe one for "Select and Mask". I was having trouble getting started with it. I have a bit of a "Those that can, do. Those that can't, make tutorials." prejudice. You'd do well to look first at Adobe's own tutorials, I think.

Also, another pitch for Actions (Macros). I'd guess that somewhere around 80% of the edits I do start with clicking on an Action. Huge time saver! Great way to both automate and document less used procedures, too.

You and Marnie should come out for master classes around the time winter starts
to get to you, perhaps March?

Nattering Nabob of PoSitivism  Moose