Re: [OM] If You Must . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] If You Must . . .
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:14:44 +0000

> On 11 Jan 20, at 05:11, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 1/9/2020 10:18 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
>> That makes quite a difference, that app.
>>
>> I have only the iPhone SE but it produces good enough shots for family snaps
>> – as long as I don’t go too close.
>
> I had an SE, until about a month ago. I'd been envying Carol's big screen,
> and the inducement of $400 off captured me. I couldn't see where the extra
> wider lens on the 11 Pro models would do me any good.

I would be easily seduced, but the SE works well enough as long as I don’t try
too much Internet browsing.

> Do you shoot Raw (DNG file type) with yours? The capability is built in.
> Apple chooses not to use it in their Camera App. But several other apps do. I
> mostly used Camera+

I had not realised that you could shoot Raw with my iPhone

> The possible improvement is not as great as Halide on the later models, but
> still considerable.
>
> People, in decentlight.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/BFFs.htm
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/BFFs.htm>>

I agree, there is quite a difference.

> Substantial improvement, to my eye. Not up to Helicon on the latest phones,
> but worthwhile.
>
> An amazing sunset, where I was lucky we were heading West and I was in the
> passengerseat.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/Inferno.htm
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/iPhone%20SE%20Raw/Inferno.htm>>

The difference with Topaz Clear is interesting.  I’ve not used Topaz for a
while, finding it rather clunky.

> The big thing here is holding the highlights.
>
> Take a photo of an Irish country pub in midday sun, and the difference
> issmall.  <https://photos.app.goo.gl/pGQk2ZzaqqTPELbK8
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/pGQk2ZzaqqTPELbK8>>

But did you try the Guinness?  If you compare Guinness in Ireland with that
drunk elsewhere you’ll wonder why it is so much better in its home country.

Chris