Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: End of an Era - or perhaps not?
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 06:41:38 -0700
At 1/20/2020 05:00 AM, Wayne wrote:
>Thanks Moose, I too have a laptop with Win 10 but the Win 7 desktop is my
>primary machine, I don't want to spend time debugging an "in place" upgrade
>at this time - too much real work to do.  I wonder if the hackers really
>want to bother attacking us luddites still on Win 7 when there is more
>opportunity and challenge  finding  the holes in Win 10 ?
>
>I suspect the reasons Microsoft are discontinuing support for Win 7 are:
>
>- that it is now reasonably solid.
>
>- they want to put their resources into plugging the holes in Win 10.
>
>Who really knows ?
>
>...Wayne

MacroSoft have downsized there testing group relying more on virtual
machine testing and hence some buggy updates of late. I tend to hold back
on feature updates as I can't afford the risk. There is a setting via gpedit.msc
that one can tweak in win10, assuming you don't have Home, to control
updates.

Dropping support for Win7 is a resource commitment change related to
cutting back on support and testing.

Win 7 is not out of sight to hackers. Vultnerabilities found in Win10 are often
just as good against Win7.

They want to put their resources into things that make more money for them.
Especially in the cloud services with their new AI with Azure. They won the Jedi
contract with the pentagon - $10bn. Much more lucrative. AI for business...

So new features in Win10, not useful for many of us, is to get people more into
their cloud services, targeted advertising, ... like everyone else. They don't
make much on Windoes, and there is talk of making it free. Win7 was more
about power to the user. That's not so profitable any more.

KDE Manjaro WayneS