Re: [OM] Sub-Zero Sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Sub-Zero Sunset
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 22:04:32 -0900
> Pretty to look at
> Delightfully bold
> Wouldn't want to be there
> It's much too cold.

Living life in the north is challenging at times
Unending winter cold, darkness and snow are crimes
Sacrifices are made to spouse and family
But the photography is rhapsody.

When the days are short and the thermometer is busted
Seat warmers are turned up and the windows are crusted
We remember that this is just for a season as spring is coming
Sunsets at midnight, and everyone and everything is humping.

To stay is insanity, to leave is foolish
The natives hunt for variety, but life is fish
I leave those to others, as pictures are my muse
Asked to move to Maryland was quickly refused.

How long I stay is question indeed
Just one photo more, is my sign of greed
When the days get longer, hikes do too
Just watch your step to avoid the bear poo.

You may never leave, the partner fumed
If I die, the body should be exhumed
The north is a mystery, it's draw is magical
I can't leave, no matter how practical.

Winter cold is harsh, roads covered with snow
Away from Anchorage the winds do blow
But when you wake up, pull open the shades to reveal
A miracle happens and the dream is real.

Discovery Channel displays weird folks on TV
Driving snow-machines and even a Humvee
Crab fishing, salmon, halibut rock
Just meet me down at the dock.

We put up with what seems like nine months of winter
For those three short months of glorious weather
It's too cold, too dark, to remote say nattering nabobs
Those very people, haven't eaten Moose Kabobs

I may move from Alaska one day
In a box, a resurrection, or in Santa's sleigh
I love it here, I can't leave too soon
Maybe when I'm a blubbering baboon.

Eagles soar and glide past the house
Looking for small puppies, perhaps a mouse
In summer, the bears are plentiful
Be careful, lest you be a mouthfull.

In the meantime, enjoy no taxes
But business down south requires faxes
The earth shakes, volcanos roar
Everywhere else is such a boor.

Alaska isn't for everybody I must admit
An adventure they wish to forget
I'm not everybody, my life complex
But my photography, I like to flex.

Living anywhere else I can't imagine
When I leave the house, I start the engine
Pointing the car to the airport to leave on a flight
Brings back memories of the south that give me a fright.

One day I'll leave and not come back
Accepting that thought is something I lack
You see, Alaska is special, never bland
I'm thankful to God for time in this land.

AK Schnozz