Re: [OM] Golden Child

Subject: Re: [OM] Golden Child
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 11:28:01 -0900
>      You may want to consider something radical, such as using an 82C or 80C
> (worst case) filter.  Having those plus an 82A and 82B wouldn't hurt.  I have
> an extensive XLS spreadsheet for colour temperature correction and spectrum
> tranmission that I put together years ago.

Alaska light is sometimes VERY strange. The air here is usually very
dry. When it's clear, the visibility is 100-200 miles. Not much
different than, say, the desert southwest. However, the sun is at such
an angle, and the type of pollutants in the air are odd enough that it
attenuates certain wavelengths, but not other wavelengths. Those
pollutants come from Europe and northern Asia, as well as volcanoes.
We've got a couple active volcanoes spewing crud in the air. It's a
low-density smog. A similar type of color cast that you would see
across one mile in Los Angeles, is what you see across 100 miles in
Alaska.

The closest color change that I can think of is an old color C Print
where the green layer has faded. It's that same, strange, non-linear
color change.

Hitting "auto wb" in Lightroom is almost always a fail. It will almost
always put too much yellow into the image. Instead of just using the
4-color controls for WB, you really need to go into the curves and
make adjustments there. But what works for one photograph won't work
for another because of subject distance and direction. If I take a
photo looking north, the air conditions between me and Denali will be
different than if I shoot south towards Homer. A close picture will
require a different WB setting than a distant picture.

First world problems.

AK Schnozz