Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Internet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Internet
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:08:39 -0900
> Your answer is too long for your servant to read it - but copper being
> replaced by fiber optics is a fact here - huge public investment lately.
> Now, you folks may be at variance with it of course, and I was tempted to
> write naturally, yet, it is not far from what bipartisan collaboration
> recommends over there ;-)

I didn't say that it ISN'T happening. But the key factor is "who is
paying for it?" If it costs on average $20,000 to provide high-speed
Internet to a household, what would be the needed revenue per
household be?

As to the 600,000 number in Virginia, that is definitely true, based
on the redefinition of "broadband". The threshold has changed so much
in the past several years that most copper-pair technologies no longer
apply, even though the typical speeds may be in the 10-20mbps range.

Also consider the demographics of those 600,000 in Virginia. I don't
want to state some obvious points, but, keep in mind that over a third
of those households have NEVER had a telephone line connected - ever!

Oh, I forgot. There is one other service delivery mechanism that is
gaining in popularity and will be a substantial competitor (as well as
supplier) to us in Alaska: LEO Satellites.

AK Schnozz