Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Dialup Intrnet
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:40:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Many years ago, when the phone company here was QWest, my phone would go
out every time we had a rainfall of 1/4" or more.  They never showed up with a
TDR to pinpoint the problem.  It took them two years to find the failure, which
turned out to be a split outer jacket on an underground cable.  The water would
seep in and saturate a wool insulation layer.  They finally switched me over to
the very last good pair, and there hasn't been a problem since then.

     When I moved here, the overhead junction boxes were wrapped with Hefty
lawn bags.  It was more then ten years before they replaced those with proper
covers.

>The issues here are exactly as the "grizzled veteran" says. I have
>12000' of 24-pair up to our pedestal. Each time our service deteriorates
>the guys come out and switch us to another hopefully cleaner pair.
>According to Shaun who is usually the one to do it says we're down to
>the last couple "good" pairs. He's been out here a lot cleaning up our
>line. The good news is that they have upgraded the service to a new
>interface just 3500' down the road. The bad news is that they used
>copper. The good news is that we still may get 20mbps. The bad news is
>that it may cost more even though they said it wouldn't. The good news
>is that the new LTE Fixed Wireless tower may be close enough to get
>20mbps for $50. I'm skeptical. And what do I do for a phone?

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson