Re: [OM] E-MI MkIII--thoughts???

Subject: Re: [OM] E-MI MkIII--thoughts???
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:06:15 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx

Seems to be same sensor, EVF and I would bet  the very same (or  almost)  IQ
but better engineering.

<<<I would expect identical files. In what way would you expect engineering to
be
<<<improved?

I now read it is EXACTLY the same sensor.

Still only one fast SD card slot and one UHS I---lazy.

<<<I wonder how much difference that makes for us who don't shoot long
sequences @ 60 fps? I thought that would be a step down with the UHS-I only
GX9. I've never noticed a slowdown. Shoots 4K video without a hitch. (I still
like the much faster download speed of UHS II.)

<<<It has inherited some nice features from its larger and (IMO) flakey big
<<<brother.

By which you mean the E-M1x?

YES.

I like the dedicated ISO button as using SCP for ISO is useable but not very
intuitive and slowish.

<<<That never bothered me. Using custom settings provides an instant way to get
all settings back to personal default, so the ISO part of SCP was only needed
to change it from default.
Bothered Marnie and me a bit.  Different strokes........

Things I like:

Built in "ND filter" with probable raw file--this is very similar to the Smooth
Reflections app that Sonnie KILLED in latest models--grrrrrr.  I really liked
that app.
If is like E-M1x likely goes to 5 stops--that is almost certainly  equivalent
to a 32 shot me mean blend in Photoshop--but get a raw file.  SR app went up to
256 shots which is 8 stops.
Not sure how they pull that off hand held but perhaps use e-shutter (guessing)
and

the wonderful IS---(up to claimed 7.5 stops with sync IS and 7 stops otherwise

<<<All that super fancy IS combo dance for only half a stop??? Can't get
excited.

Yes, but it is still better than the previous incarnation  which on the E-M1
MK11 was 5.5/6.5.

--doubt this would beat  Panny Dual IS, but hard to tell).

<<<Not a clue here. How does one test?? With my primary lenses being OIS
Pannys, I naturally lean to their Sync IS. As below, the limiting factor in the
field is often subject movement, anyway.

<<<I remember when I first used my 100-400 in the field, I took some hand held
shots on the E-M5 II, alternating IBIS and OIS. I didn't note the order as I
took them, and back in the computer, I couldn't tell which was which.

It can be tested thoroughly and reliably with careful experimental design and
enough iterations. This will provide an estimation of how well it will do for
the average photog but can be different for Cool Hand Luke, d'Moose.

  Oddly the SR app would lose a tad of DR vs taking the shots  or using ND
filter directly.
Try blending 256 shots in PS---takes a loooooooong while.

https://smallsensorphotography.com/niagara-falls-live-nd

<<<I felt a little breeze as all that went over my head. :-)  I guess the
smooth water thing is low on my priorities. I have the app on my A7, but it
never gets out in the field where water is flowing.
Oddly it has to be used in Manual or SS priority mode and for SS>=1/30.  That
was not a limitation for the SR app on Sonnie.  I don't understand that if it
is really a mean blend. We (royal) need more computational features like this
on our  expensive cams that is old hat for phones.

Hand held high res mode is cool and expected.

<<<I've not followed the details. Is this the same as on the E-M1x? If so, I
hadn't realized it's quite different than the 80 MP tripod HR Mode. It takes 16
shots and aligns them, but doesn't capture each sensel location at all three
colors.

<<<I'm starting to wonder how much real world improvement in resolution that
actually gives. I've discovered something in the Topaz AI apps that generally
gives startling improvements in detail at base ISOs. Post to come soon.

<<<My other question about it is how useful it will be for moving stuff, like
critters, foliage in a breeze, etc. Topaz Sharpen AI stabilize option makes me
realize how much perhaps subtle subject movement there is in some of my long
shots of critters, creating softness I have <<<blamed on lenses.
<<<
<<<Seems it takes 16 exposures in 1/60 sec. Well, that a long time for many
subjects. Fine if they don't move, but they very often do. I was just working
on a series of shots of very interesting birds in Paro last Spring. 400 mm,
1/640 sec. and there is subject blurring in some. <<<They were moving fast
enough, legs moving, head moving relative to body, etc. that HH-HR would not be
able to align images.

Starry sky AF---can take 10sec on pod  in accurate mode but that is fine.
Marnie enjoyed trying for nice astrolandscapes but I had to focus for her in MF
due to her night vision.   The CV10/.95 MTF wide open was also lousy and would
have to gaffers tape at infinity if wanted to use.   This is a killer feature
for her then, assuming it works as advertised.  Bah, please  make me an offer
on gently used E-m1 MkII.  At least I think the batteries are the same.   Not
sure about the RRS bracket.  Will have to try to make time to take care of this

<<<Well, I tried to get into the astro stuff, but it didn't take.

We are going to try again in LaPalma.  fingers crossed.

<<<Things not to like:

<<<The power switch is still where it was on an OM-2. Soooo awkward in a world
where everyone else has theirs where a right hand finger or thumb can operate
it.

<<<The ergonomic thing I hate about the A7 is the menu button off on the left
corner. Now Oly is doing it. That means I couldn't open the menu without taking
left hand off the lens or right hand off the body. Crap!

What bugs me is where the lens release button is--I hate that on Sonnie.

Mike

<<<<Moose D'Opinion