Re: [OM] Oly's new lens [was E-MI MkIII--thoughts???]

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly's new lens [was E-MI MkIII--thoughts???]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:09:13 -0800
On 2/14/2020 12:13 PM, Pearce, Wilfred via olympus wrote:
As is often repeated, there are a welat of lenses for 4/3 cameras, really
staggering when I look back on the film days. But what also strikes me is that
there is a lot of needless duplication and near duplication in these lenses.
Every time an u[graded body comes out alson comes another slightly different
kit lens. Not a dramatically different one,just subtle changes. One time
12-30, then a 12-38, followed by a 12-40, closely followed by a 12-42.5.

A little overstated, but the humor is right on!

I know no huge expense is needed, just a few cicks on a computer,

For the optical design, perhaps, but tooling for parts and then assembly costs
real money.

but couldn't that time and trouble spent better on a new BSI sensor?

Oly doesn't make their sensors. And generally, sensors are sold to more than one maker, so Oly has some input, but no real control.

And why when Panny comes out with a super fast 100--400 can't Oly let well
enough alone and subdue their competitive urge?

I can't agree there. They are substantially different beasts. The Oly 150-400, with much more speed at the long end, built-in 1.25x teleconverter, add-on longer T-C looks like a tour-de-force of lens making. But also a monster.

Or best of all, Oly should take some of that duplication and spend it on native
english speakers to fix their stupid menus.

I expect it's more to do with how their minds work than language. :-)  And I think there's a lot to be said for avoiding change. When I was using many different Oly bodies, for many years, from E-PL1 to E-M5 II, I was very used to the menus, and liked the lack of surprises with new models.

Panny did manage to update their menus without too much user confusion (for
this user, at least.)

AS you might imagine, I"m not upgrade shopping

Really?? I couldn't tell. ;-)

Entree Moose